Ordinary tourist visa is issued to foreign citizens for a short stay in Russia for the purpose of tourism (visiting cultural events, excursions, sightseeing). It is allowed to enter for short-term business negotiations, participation in exhibitions, auctions, as well as for medical consultations or examinations.
On the basis of the confirmation of acceptance issued by the organization, information about which is contained in the Unified Federal Register of Tour Operators, a foreign citizen can obtain a single or double entry tourist visa for a period of up to 3 months, or a multiple entry tourist visa for a period of up to 6 months. At the same time, the total period of stay of a foreign tourist on the territory of the Russian Federation with multiple entry tourist visa cannot exceed 90 days within each period of 180 days.
It is possible to obtain an ordinary tourist visa on the basis of the confirmation of booking a place in a hotel or other accommodation facility (hereinafter – confirmation of booking a place in a hotel), information about which is contained in the Unified List of classified hotels, ski slopes, beaches. An ordinary tourist visa issued on this basis can only be single-entry, and its validity is limited by the dates of booking a place in a hotel. When applying for this category of visa, it is important to consider the following: the migration registration of a foreign tourist will be carried out by the hotel that has issued the aforementioned confirmation. At the same time, in case of cancellation of the booking by a foreign citizen and as a result of the lack of information in the Russian Ministry of Internal Affairs about his registration by the hotel, his tourist visa may be canceled, and the foreign tourist may be brought to administrative responsibility for violating the rules of stay of foreign citizens on the territory of the Russian Federation, which also does not exclude the adoption of a decision not to permit entry into the Russian Federation in accordance with Article 27 of the Federal Law of 15.08.1996 No. 114-FZ “On the procedure for leaving the Russian Federation and entering the Russian Federation.”
Confirmation of booking a place in a hotel is filled out on paper using technical means (typewriters, computers) in Russian, English or in the state language of the country of which the foreign tourist is a citizen, signed by an authorized hotel employee and certified by the hotel’s seal. It should contain the following data:
1. The name of the document “Confirmation of booking a place in the hotel”, its number and date of registration;
2. The brand name of the hotel, its actual address and registration number in the Unified List of classified hotels, ski slopes, beaches;
3. Information about a foreign citizen for whom has been issued the confirmation (surname, first name (s), date of birth, gender, citizenship, passport number or other document recognized by the Russian Federation as a document proving the identity of a foreign citizen);
4. Check-in date and check-out date;
5. Other information about booking conditions (at the discretion of the hotel).
In order to apply for an ordinary single-entry / double-entry tourist visa (for a period of up to 90 days) or multiple-entry tourist visa (for a period of up to 6 months), one must submit:
1. Confirmation of the tourist acceptance by a Russian touristic organization, the information on which is included in the Unified Federal Register of Tour Operators;
or the confirmation of booking a place in a hotel or other accommodation facility, information about which is contained in the Unified List of classified hotels, ski slopes, beaches (an ordinary tourist visa issued on this basis can only be single-entry, and its validity is limited by the dates of booking a place in a hotel);
2. Passport with no less than 2 empty pages for visas, valid for 6 months from the visa expiry date – the original;
3. Visa application form filled in on the website kdmid.ru, printed and signed personally by the applicant – the original;
When choosing the location where you will be applying for your visa, it is necessary to indicate the Visa Center where you are planning to submit the documents.
At the Visa Application Center you can use the service of filling in a visa application form (the presence of the applicant is required).
4. Colour photography according to the photo specifications – the original. At the Russian visa center in Rome or Milan you may ask for the additional service “Express Photo” (the service is not available for small children);
5. Medical insurance policy valid on the territory of Russian Federation that covers the entire duration of the visa, except for the mutual insurance cases.
Please note! Medical insurance policy must contain:
· contract date;
· policy number;
· first name, last name and father’s name of a policy holder, the date of birth;
· details of the insurer;
· the validity period of the policy must cover the entire duration of the visa and guarantee a minimum coverage of medical and medical transportation costs in the amount of EUR 30,000. When applying for a multiple-entry tourist visa, the insurance policy must cover the period of the first entry of the foreign tourist.
· list of medical and medical transportation services including repatriation of remains;
· coverage territory – the whole world or the Russian Federation; Europe, including Russia;
· the signature and seal of the insurer.
Insurance policies, letters of confirmation from insurance organizations not containing the above-mentioned information, set forms with stamps of the insurance companies and other insurance documents not fulfilling the indicated requirements are not considered.
6. Power of Attorney (in case of submitting documents/collecting passport with ready visa by a third party).
Please note! If you are not a citizen of Italy, you must also submit:
a) a permit for a continuous stay in Italy for more than 90 days for citizens of the following countries: Albania, Bahrain, Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, Georgia, Haiti, Ireland, Japan, Lesotho, Libya, Macedonia, Mali, Mexico, New Zealand, Oman, Republic of Korea, Republic of South Africa, Saudi Arabia, Sierra Leone, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, Venezuela.
According to the national legislation of Italy, a residence permit issued based on a corresponding visa serves as a document based on which a foreign citizen may continuously stay in the country for more than 90 days.
b) Italy Permanent Resident Card (Permesso di soggiorno per soggiornanti di lungo periodo) for the citizens of the following countries: Afghanistan, Algeria, Angola, Bangladesh, Chad, China, DPRK, Ethiopia, Iraq, Nepal, Nigeria, Pakistan, Rwanda, Somalia, Sri Lanka, Syria, Vietnam.
c) In connection with the current restrictions on entry into the Russian Federation in accordance with paragraph 4 of paragraph 5 of the Order of the Government of the Russian Federation dated June 28, 2021 No. 1745-r, for third-countries citizens or stateless persons, the posession of an Italian residence permit is a prerequisite for obtaining visas, EU citizens are also required to prove their right to reside permanently in Italy.
Period of visa validity and of visa processing:
single-entry or double-entry tourist visa for up to 90 days:
standard tourist visa – 6-8 working days from the date of acceptance of documents;
urgent tourist visa – 2-3 working days from the date of acceptance of documents;
multiple-entry visa for up to 6 months (the total period of stay of a foreign tourist on the territory of the Russian Federation with a multiple-entry tourist visa cannot exceed 90 days within each period of 180 days) is issued if there are reasons for issuing a multiple-entry visa: confirmation of entry into the Russian Federation for the last 12 months with any visa, except with a transit one):
period of visa processing – 12 working days from the date of acceptance of documents.
Please note! Consulate institution reserves a right to request additional documents for visa processing, invite for an interview or extend the duration of a visa processing.
Fees and Processing Time
For the citizens of Italy and the European Union
Before applying, we strongly recommend that you clearly understand the purpose of the trip.
Please note that the Visa Application Centre can help you throughout the visa application process but cannot advise choosing a visa category. The decision to issue or refuse the visa is the exclusive prerogative of the Diplomatic Missions of the Russian Federation in Italy.
Our service packages at the Visa Application Centre include the following:
- Review the documents in accordance with requirements, visa category, insurance, invitation and other necessary additional documents, depending on the purpose of the trip.
- Fill out / check the submission form.
- Photo service as per visa requirements. (*this service is available in Rome and Milan only).
- Assessment of visa processing times and the size of consular fees.
- Submission of your documents to the consulate.
- Passport/visa collection from the consulate.
- Courier delivery.
* The standard and express package fees are charged in addition to the consular fee provided below.
**Additional services outside the package are paid separately.
Single-, double-entry visa
4-10 business days
1-3 business days
12 working days
Please note! If you are a person without citizenship or you are not a citizen of Italy or the European Union, please specify the fee charged for your visa by contacting an operator of a call-centre.
Visa processing fees and time schedules for the citizens of other countries and persons without citizenship are calculated according to “Consular fees of the consular institutions of the Russian Federation”.